Friday, January 16, 2009

Caplan Book Club: For a New Liberty


Bryan Calpan is starting a book club.



Is there any interest in having an EconLog Book Club on Murray Rothbard's For a New Liberty? I've got a lot of history with this book, which is now available online. I read it about ten times between the years of 1989 and 1994, and it had a tremendous influence on my thinking. But I haven't read it for fifteen years. Now I'm curious to revisit it and see how well it holds up.

Even if you find the anarcho-capitalist substance of the book noxious, it's hard not to admire the style. For a New Liberty is ridiculously well-written, so whatever you conclude, you'll enjoy the book club experience.

Who's in?P.S. Glad to see there's so much interest. I suggest we start discussing Chapter 1, "The Libertarian Heritage: The American Revolution and Classical Liberalism" on January 20.

My thoughts: This could be interesting for those interesting in learning more about liberty and individual freedom.



No comments: